Monday, February 8, 2010

Hiking the Santa Clara Volcano

OK, so last week I started feeling very negative about my situation (after a while, at first it was good to reflect, but I think I started looking too deeply). I realized that part of the problem was my constant focus on being jobless. Yes, when you are job hunting it does need to be your main focus. But it was my only focus, I decided to rectify this by going Hiking and taking some Photos! Nothing can fix a sour mood of mine like those two activities combined! When my brother was down we had discussed hiking either Johnson's trail (it leads to an arch) and/or the cinder cones. Both of these are just outside of Snow Canyon. The cinder cone trail seemed the most fascinating to me. I don't know if both the cinder cones together form the remains of the Santa Clara Volcano or if there are actually two, though they are awfully close together for that. But given my fascination for volcanoes, I chose that hike! It was the shorter hike, but a lot more difficult. I also came across some Snow and ice.

The trail winds around the one Cinder Cone with gentle slopes till the last quarter of a mile when jets up the steep slope. My calf muscles really didn't like the steepness of this part. I then walked around the rim. I was worried going down it was so steep. I managed to get down the steep slope no problem. Then as I was going around there was some snow on the path, so I went off the trail to get around the worst of it (or so I thought). I took one stip back on the frozen path, not even in the snow, and found myself all but on the ground. My Left arm had braced the fall so that my bum didn't hit the ground. Through I then felt a sudden sharp pain from the now strained muscle in my shoulder. So I let myself drop the last inch and I sat in the muddy snow for a minute. I then got up determined to be more careful. About 5 minutes later I came to very muddy spot. I paused to reflect and realized why one should NEVER stop in mud, on a slight slope. The mud took my feet suddenly down the slope, I flipped to the right (the ab muscles didn't appreciate this sudden twist) and caught myself again, before doing a face plant in the mud. Of course, protected my camera very well on both these instantces. I vowed that next time I wanted to hike the Cinder Cone I would A. Not hike alone and B. evaluate how much rain we have been getting to avoid such mud.

I realized I have been slacking in my hiking. Last Spring, I went hiking at least once a week, in preparation for Multnomah (I was demined to do the full loop and not just to the top of the falls), as everyone was telling my how 'difficult' the hike to the top of the falls was. The first thought Amy and I had on top of the Falls was, 'that was difficult?' But I digress. I realized that I have not been going hiking weekly (sad with so much beauty all around me). I need to start this weekly hiking again. That is my New Goal, and as I apparently need something to push me to do it (sadly, I have no plans to return to Multnomah in the near future), here is my incentive. Everyweek I will post a new blog with some of the pictures I took while hiking! That way you all can harass me if I miss going hiking one week!

Anyway, so here are some of the pictures from my little adventure!!!!

What a great view!
This is the Cinder Cone I hiked.
This is the Other Cinder Cone.
The Steep part of the trail! 
  
Diamond Valley, Ut
Shooting across the Cinder Cone
Looking over St. George!
Loving the View.
Sunset
  
Random Sunset shot that includes my car!!!



* All content copyrighted to Reb Sumner Photos

3 comments:

Janet Johnson said...

Ooof! Face in the mud. No fun. Too bad you couldn't get a picture of it though. That would be a funny memory in the near future. :)

Enjoy the hiking!

Risa said...

There's something about exercise and nature that is just good for the soul and mental health. Beautiful pics. I can't wait to see the ones from all your upcoming hikes!

MikeS said...

I'd certainly hike every week if I lived there. Except in the summer of course I'd have to hike at night or very early in the morning.